Students from all over have come to look for the most effective ways on how to write a compare and contrast essay, in order to make this daunting task more bearable. Believe it or not, while comparing to different concepts are almost second nature to some people, most students grapple with the idea of writing this type of essay. Fortunately, there are certain tricks that you may do to make accomplishing this task easier for you. With these tips under your sleeve, you should be able to write the best compare and contrast essay that you have written in no time.
For one, make sure that you analyze your topic for compare contrast essay as thoroughly as possible. This tip will be especially helpful for the times when the topic that you would have to write about is out of your hands. If you are not familiar with the different issues that surround your topic of discussion, make sure that you do the appropriate amount of research that will familiarize you with it. After all, this is the only way that you will be able to various points that you may use in your essay.
Another good tip that you may use on your search for ways on how to write compare and contrast essay is to write down a list of the various similarities and differences between the two concepts that you are analyzing. Make sure that you point out every single point that you see, even the glaringly obvious ones. After all, this is the main point of this type of essay. Also ensure that you use a logical format in pointing out these points, so as not to confuse your readers.
Here’s another helpful hint that you may find useful on your search for means on how to write a compare and contrast essay: find a theme before you start writing and make sure that you focus on it. It will bear very little use to your readers if you point out the points without joining them through a unifying thread. To ensure that you maintain a logical flow all throughout your essay, make sure that you commit to a certain theme when making these points. Stick to this unifying factor from the beginning to the conclusion of your essay, to ensure that every single point that you make will be taken under the right and the most appropriate context.
Tags: compare and contrast essay, compare and contrast essay topics, write compare and contrast essay
Posted in Compare and Contrast Essay
No doubt, it’s human nature to express attitude, to compare and contrast. We use this type of thinking when choosing between two or more options, discussing their differences and similarities. In academic writing it is expressed in the form of a compare and contrast essay.
Generally, this essay type is characterized by points of comparison and analogies and usually arranged in the emphatic way. It is a great method to help a person progress in his critical thinking, as well as his writing skills. Basically, the structure of compare and contrast essay includes three components: the introduction, body and conclusion.
- Introduction. Here the author states what he’s comparing. This part may include the main differences and similarities, advantages and disadvantages, or an explanation of the two opposing sides.
- Body. The body paragraphs can be arranged in several ways. For example, one paragraph may discuss similarities and another differences, or the paragraphs may express different positions on an issue. The more complex structure is when there are passages about each aspect of the elements that are being compared.
- Conclusion. The conclusion is a generalization of the thesis stated in the introduction. It gives a brief summary of the most important similarities and differences, often putting the comparison and contrast into a larger context with a personal statement and/or some kind of prediction.
The simplest format for the compare and contrast passage devotes one body paragraph or section to each element. Two is the most popular (and natural) number, but the author may compare and contrast any number of elements. The essay may also divide according to qualities of the latter. Another possible structure devotes one body paragraph to differences and one to similarities discussed objects.
These are the general standards to succeed in writing a compare and contrast essay:
- Your essay must be arranged in a logical way with an introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion;
- The essay must deal with each of the two or several selections;
- It must relate one selection to the other, comparing and contrasting them in a consistent way;
- The author must support his assertions with solid evidence (figures, quotations, references, etc.);
- The essay must have good grammar and spelling and mature writing style.
Additionally, the author should always keeps his audience in mind and be sure the readers can relate to his reasoning. Therefore, when you are through with writing, it’s always useful to read your paper once again from the perspective of the audience.
Tags: academic writing, compare and contrast essay, writing compare and contrast essay
Posted in Compare and Contrast Essay